Scientific Sessions Update: Live Long With Type 1

As was evidenced by Robert Krause earlier this week, people with type 1 diabetes can live a long life. In fact, people with type 1 are living longer and longer. Research presented at the American Diabetes Association’s 71st Scientific Sessions this afternoon demonstrates that there have been improvements in the life expectancy for people with type 1 diabetes.

The study, a part of the Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications Study, looked at two groups of people: a group of people who had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes between 1950 and 1964 and a group of people who had been diagnosed between 1965 and 1980.

The researchers found that the life expectancy for those who were diagnosed between 1965 and 1980 was 15 years longer than those who were diagnosed between 1950 and 1964. During the same time frame, the life expectancy for people without diabetes only increased by one year.

Currently, the life expectancy for people living with type 1 diabetes is about four years less than those who do not have diabetes, but the survival gap is clearly shrinking. There’s nothing like a little good news to help kick off the world’s largest diabetes meeting!

This entry was posted in Life with Diabetes, Research, Scientific Sessions and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Scientific Sessions Update: Live Long With Type 1

1. Jill Pillow says:

Thank you so much for this information! I feel so much better knowing that the life expectancy of a person with type 1 is only four years less than someone who doesn’t have type 1.

2. D.Nelson says:

Have Lived with the disease,type 1 Diabetes, since 1972.Living with the side effects now,diabetic eye disease and heart disease.Had a stroke in 2006 and thank God mostly recovered.Plan to live to be a very old man!Saw an obituary, in the paper,for a man that lived to be 94.It said he had type-1 diabetes and lost his battle with the disease.Hell no,if he lived to be 94 he won that battle!!!!!!!

3. Edith Frank says:

Yes I guess I am one of those who have been a type 1
    for 48 years. However before the diagnosis I
    was a nursing student and we were given the
    BCG vaccine as a test group. Did not prevent
    Diabetes but maybe there is a connection.
    I am the only type 1 in all my family

4. Heidi Di Cesare says:

Finally, some positive news about Type 1 !! so happy….everything out there seems to be about type II and this is very encouraging to those of us with type 1 (19 years and counting!)

5. Annette says:

Diagnosed in 1958 still complication free… am in a harvard/joslin study to find the ‘kink’ to help find better treatment for kids and perhaps the cure 🙂
    My dream to see that in my lifetime 🙂

6. Coreyd says:

Yes! I needed to hear this, everything is always anout complications so this is such a great thing to hear

7. jenell says:

This brings tears of happyness to my eyes. I have been type 1 diabetic since I was 5 and am 28 now. Im am so glad to hear this.I am wondering if you need an insulin pump in order to live this long? My a1c is currently a 7.3 and am complication free as of now.hope to stay this way for many years to come.thanks for this info.I have actually been stressing alot lately wondering if this dease is going to greatly shorten mylife.so thanks for the good news 🙂

8. karen says:

just found out I have got type 1 diabetes

9. John B says:

My story with Type I Diabetes…
    I was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes in Sept. 1966 when I was 6 years old. Had Cortisone injections, which was fairly common then for minor injuries, stitches etc. which we think now may have been the catalyst for my Type I. I am the only member of my family with Type I however, my mother was diagnosed with Type II in the last 10 years due to being overweight.

I am going on 49 years living with Type I with no major complications. I have had minor Retinopathy over the years with laser surgery to correct but still have near 20/20 vision; have no significant signs of neuropathy, renal problems etc. Most recent A1C was 7.5% (169 mg/dl) which is a little high & need to get it down to an ideal for me which is 6.5%. I am not on a pump; test my BS 8-10 times per day with Novolog injections on a sliding scale to control BS. Use Lantus before bedtime again, on a sliding scale. I am on an unrestricted diet & eat pretty much anything I wish however, after having had Type I Diabetes for so long, I know what to & not to eat. I also have not exercised regularly since approx. 1999 as I have severe OA in both knees have been avoiding knee replacement. IMO-my bad knees are far worse than Type I Diabetes.

Hypoglycemia has always been my biggest problem as I tend to have low BS’s & have had BS’s as low as 13 mg/dl & still functioning (@ least I thought I was still functioning). So…whether my brief story helps inspire anyone to believe you can live a long, active life with Type I Diabetes, I thought I would share it & I’m sticking to it!

• American Diabetes Association says:

Thank you for sharing your story, John!

• Owen mommy says:

Dear John,

Very Happy and lighten my burden to read your story. my son 11 y.o diagnosed T1D since this March. Even I am Christian and believe in Jesus Christ, I still worry time to time about the future of my son. I’m sure no any Normal mother or parents in the world want to live longer than their children.
      Your story again, raise my hope, that my son could long live and well live with T1D

God Bless you, and every T1D people. Let’s we pray of the Stem Cell for cure T1D

• hamed says:

i have diabetes type 1 for 8 months at 34 years old, i am very happy that you are very health with diabetes type 1 for 50 years!

• Saqib javaid says:

THANKS FOR SHEARING
      AND PLEASE SEND ME YOUR DIET.
      HOW TO USE MEDICINE?
      I LIVE IN PAKISTAN

10. pallab das says:

Type 1 for 25.5 years…minor retinopathy…sometimes feel scared,sometimes feel proud…will live for another 50…trying a lot..hba1c 7.6…..trying to put it down…

11. Saqib javaid says:

hi guys ,,,,
    i have diabetes patient type 1 for 9 year at 27 years old
    but i don,t understand how to get control my diabetes i live in pakistan and you know my country is best for natural things.
    I,m used heavy dose both are Humolin R & Humolin N.
    At fasting morning time R-20 unite and N-10
    evning time R-10 and N-5.

So Guys help me about diabetes type 1