Five Things You Should Know About Prediabetes

After announcing the expansion of Diabetes Stops Here and asking you which topics you’d like covered, we received a specific request for more information about prediabetes. A staggering 79 million Americans deal with this condition, and while it can lead to crippling health consequences, it can be avoided.

Here are five things you should know about prediabetes:

1. What is prediabetes? Before people develop type 2 diabetes, they almost always have prediabetes, a health condition where your blood glucose is higher than normal but not as high as if you had diabetes.

2. How can I find out if I have it? Your doctor can give you a blood test to tell if you have prediabetes (the same test that’s used to test for diabetes). At your next doctor visit, ask if you should be tested for prediabetes.

3. What can I do if I have prediabetes? If you have prediabetes, there are important steps you can, and should, take. Early intervention can turn back the clock and return elevated blood glucose levels to the normal range. Losing weight is an important step for most people with prediabetes, and the amount doesn’t have to be huge to make a difference.  A weight loss of just 10 to 15 pounds can really stack the odds in your favor. Coupled with 30 minutes of exercise each day and healthy food choices, you’ll be on your way. Talk with your doctor and visit our website to learn more about other ways you can prevent or reverse the condition.

4. Does this mean I’m going to develop type 2 diabetes? Prediabetes can lead to type 2 diabetes…but it doesn’t have to. Scientific studies show taking the above steps can often halt or at least slow down the progression of prediabetes so it doesn’t take a turn for the worse.

5. Where can I find help? You are not alone. It’s never too late to make healthy changes and the American Diabetes Association is here to help. Check out MyFoodAdvisor for tips on eating well and our website for ideas about fun ways to be physically active.

Does anyone have success stories they can share?

This entry was posted in Prediabetes, Tips and ideas and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Five Things You Should Know About Prediabetes

1. Alissa says:

Im 15 and two years ago i was told i had prediabetes and had to change my diet and weight to fix it. Today ive lost about 65 pounds and only need to lose about 15 more and ill be where i need to be.

2. LIna says:

Good job Alissa:) I am prediabetic right now and working hard to bring my weight back down also with working out and the diabetic diet. I’m 42! It is working I have dropped 45 lbs since February and still have 40 to lose. But my blood sugar is under control now and I’m on my way to being healthier. Losing weight is not JUST about looking good. It also makes you feel good, more energetic. When the doctor ran my fasting blood sugar it read normal it was an A1C test that caused her to worry.

3. Sharon says:

You’re amazing, Alissa! Incredible job, Llna! I am inspired by both of you. I was diagnosed pre-d Nov 10 and Type 2 this June. I have lost 11 pounds by counting my carbs since the day I got the Type 2 “upgrade”. I still have 80 to 90 pounds to lose but they say even 10 pounds can make a difference. Small goals are encouraging. My bg is almost always in the range recommended by my doctor now except my morning number runs higher. Good luck to both of you and to all battling this condition!

• khalida pervez says:

i was diagnosed with prediabetes 4 yrs back. morning highs worry me although my a1c is normal, thank God. need some tips.

4. Harold Teran says:

Hope

5. Tahani says:

hello, I am pre-diabetic and my a1c was very high around 9 for last diagnostic with doctor
    now I am with drug not insulin it’s just organized my blood sugar level called “Formate drug” If I did NOT take this drug my blood level be very high I think this drug made me forgetting to visit my doctor and I am worried now because long time not visit clinic Hope that not affect me and I will soon visit the clinic …. ** My diabetic really shooked me cause NO symptoms or any health problem I have before and till now *** ANY TIPS *_*
    Have a healthier life ALL ^_^

• American Diabetes Association says:

Hi Tahani, please do see your prescribing doctor or another health care professional if you are having side effects from your medication. It sounds like you have a clinic to go to, but you can always call 1-800-DIABETES if you’re looking for other care options in your area. Take care.

6. Moraima says:

I like to know more about this subject like what fruit can I eat and veggetable

7. phen375 work says:

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. Nevertheless think
    about if you added some great visuals or video clips to give your posts more,
    “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this blog could undeniably be one of
    the most beneficial in its niche. Very good blog!

8. eric says:

Hello all!
    Just found out that I too have prediabetes and picked up some books and to be honest, I knew my eating habits were sure to catch up to me! But, nonetheless , I have two boys and most certainly have to make more better choices on my diet. So, I can really say it’s going to be a challenge! Thanks !!

9. norma adams says:

I TO AM PER-DIABETES JUST TOOK ANOTHER TEST AND CRISSINF MY FINGURES. I KNOW ITS.NOT ALOT VUT I LOST 6 POUNDS I WAS SOOOO HAPPY. GOOD LUCK YOU JUST HABR TO GET.UP AND MOVE AND EAT ALITTLE BETTER….GOOD LUCK ALL

10. Kelly says:

Hi! I’m Kelly. I’m 16, and I weigh 229 now. Please don’t judge me about my weight, I know I’m large for my age. About December of last year I found out I had prediabetes, and I tried excersizing and eating right. Then I went back about a month ago and the doctor said I’ve stayed the same weight. So he said try losing 4 pounds and then he scheduled me to come back for a check up and blood test. I got back august 28 and see what he says. In this past 3 weeks I’ve lost 15 pounds. When I found out I had pre diabetes my starting weight was 246. I am very scared about diabetes and I’m trying my best to lose weight. My goal right now is to get to 200 lbs (I want a realistic goal) then my next goal will be, to be 160lbs and so on. After reading online and knowing I’m not alone, really helps, thank you!

11. B says:

I am have problems with my sugar and I see all these post loose weight, thing is I am only 115 pounds and 5’5″ I am underweight for my height so why does it say stuff about weight, when not all diabetes need to loose nor is it the cause of it for everyone(

• American Diabetes Association says:

Hi B, it’s true that not everyone with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes is overweight; it is an important risk factor but one of many. Some people with type 2 are of normal weight, or only slightly overweight. In your case, it would just be important to maintain a normal weight through a healthy lifestyle — diet and exercise, plus medication if your doctor advises it.

Thanks for reading!

12. selsa says:

Hi my dr drew blood last week today l received a call according to the nurse normal range is 65-99 mine is 116 does this mean I’m diabetic please can some one tell me

13. Natalie says:

Hi. My name is Natalie and I’m 15. When I was 13, I was diagnosed with pre diabetes. Since then I’ve been eating healthier and exercising more but I’ve only gained wait. Now, I weigh 300 pounds. Last week, I was tested for hypothyroidism and it turns out I have that as well. Now I’m on medication for that and I am on medication for high glucose because I’m apparently on the very edge of pre diabetes and type 2 diabetes. Hopefully I can lose weight now that I’m on thyroid medication. Honestly, I’m terrified. I’m only 15 years old. Why is this happening to me? I don’t get it. Anyway, thanks for all the inspiration. Hopefully I can make a change.