So, what CAN I eat?

One of the first questions out of the mouth of anyone just diagnosed with diabetes is, “So, what can I actually eat?” It’s a natural reaction, especially since diabetes management relies so heavily on making good food choices…and we want you to know we are here to help. Today, I’m excited to announce the launch of the Association’s newest nutrition resource, MyFoodAdvisor: Recipes for Healthy Living.

Recipes for Healthy Living is an online resource where people with diabetes and their families can turn for new recipes, one-day meal plans, healthy tips and video cooking demonstrations. Each month, those who join will receive a monthly e-newsletter linking them back to the website where they can see our latest recipes and nutrition updates that make meal planning and preparation a snap.

With diabetes, there’s enough to worry about…let us replace the stress of mealtime decisions with the pleasure of choosing healthy foods. Tell us below what your biggest challenges are when it comes to eating healthy and we’ll let you know how Recipes for Healthy Living can help! And, help us build this resource by sharing your success stories too!

Happy eats!
Elizabeth Mayer-Davis
President, Health Care & Education

This entry was posted in About Us, Recipes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to So, what CAN I eat?

1. Elaine says:

I have been looking for a new variety of recipes to cook for my Mom. Glad to see new information.

2. Roy L says:

I would like to know if there s a site i can go to that just has two colums of what is good to eat and what to stay away from.

3. Crystal says:

My daughter (age 11) was recently diagnosed with Type 1. What are some “free” foods she can snack on that don’t require her to take a shot? We already know of just a few things (pickles, beef jerky, cheese sticks) but she’s already growing tired of them. Any other suggestions?

4. Sharon Prevett says:

I hate to cook! Love to eat out, especially love Mexican food. When I shop, I read the labels carefully, especially the carbs. I choose fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, cheeses, fish, poultry and “no sugar” puddings for dessert. I must be insulin resistant because I have yet to get my blood sugar under control. I take 20mg. glyburide each day and inject 30 units of insulin per day and cannot get my bs in the range I am told I should be in. I have severe neuropathy in my feet and am losing mobility rapidly. I am so frustrated and depressed, I don’t know what to do next. My doctor visits are 90 days apart and all I ever get are increases in medication. There has to be a better remedy! If anyone out there can help, I am all ears!

5. Kim says:

I’m looking for recipes that dont require say more than 5 ingredients and are easy to fix. I like to cook but it’s painful for me to stand at the sink because of neuropathy and RA. It’s difficult to do the prep work on vegetables because of the RA in my hands. And like a couple of others who posted, I would like two columns, what I can eat and what I cant. It’s difficult enough dealing with diabetes, renal disease, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, RA, and liver disease and I would just like to see some simply recipes for meals that actually taste good.

6. ADA says:

Thanks for your comments. The Association does not have lists of bad or good foods; however we do have suggestions on how to make better food choices. Check out our “Making healthy food choices” page for suggestions: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices.html. Just click on the links on this page to find recommendations for each type of food.

7. Veronica Hunter says:

my problem is I do not like vegetable and i am tied of eating green beans and lettuce. My A1C went up in three months after retiring 12/2010 and I am struggling to get it back down. My other problem is exercise which I plan to start soon. Because I know I can do better family history from my mother side.

8. Carmen says:

I just got diagnosed in June 2nd 2011. Am having a hard time getting away from carbs and trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. My sugar is high in the morning but regulates during the day. I just want to have a normal life