Breastfeeding and Diabetes: What’s the Connection?

Did you know August is National Breastfeeding Month? Launched in 2011 by the United States Breastfeeding Committee through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this campaign aims to highlight research that demonstrates the benefits of breastfeeding for infants and mothers.

In celebration of National Breastfeeding Month, we’re offering new and soon-to-be mothers with diabetes some tips for breastfeeding and the advantages it may provide both you and your child.

Benefits for Your Baby

Breast milk is widely considered to be the most beneficial source of nutrition for infants. Studies have shown breastfeeding offers many advantages to newborns, including decreased risks of high respiratory infections, high blood pressure, asthma, atopy (a disorder marked by the tendency to develop allergic reactions) and diabetes.

A mom who has gestational diabetes during pregnancy increases the risk that her child will become obese during childhood. However, one study found that breastfeeding a baby for at least six months neutralizes that risk. Breastfed children of mothers with diabetes were no more likely to be overweight at ages six to 13 than kids whose moms didn’t have diabetes. Breastfeeding for less than six months, though, showed no benefit in reducing obesity.

Some people believe baby formula can lead to infant weight gain, but the bottle itself may be part of the problem. Another study found that babies who get breast milk only from bottles gain weight more rapidly than those who get it exclusively from mothers’ breasts—three ounces more per month during their first year. This could be because babies can control how much milk they swallow during breastfeeding, while parents often take the lead with bottles. Looking to babies for hunger cues may help parents avoid overfeeding when using bottles.

Benefits for You

Babies aren’t the only ones getting something out of breastfeeding—it improves the health of moms, too!

Childbearing may be linked with an increased risk of obesity, but a study published this summer found breastfeeding cuts that risk by about one percent for every six months of nursing. Researchers have several ideas as to why this happens, including the “reset” hypothesis, which suggests breastfeeding may be involved in changing various metabolic control centers in the mother’s brain after childbirth.

Mothers who breastfeed decrease their risks not only of obesity, but also heart disease and type 2 diabetes. And the longer they breastfeed, the lower their risks. In one 20-year study of 704 women, those who didn’t have gestational diabetes lowered their risk for these conditions by 39 to 56 percent, depending on how long they breastfed. For women who had gestational diabetes, the risk was reduced even more: from 44 to 86 percent.

Along with this, mothers who breastfeed are less likely to develop osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis later in life and have a lower risk of breast, uterine and ovarian cancer.

Breastfeeding also can help new moms recover from childbirth more quickly and easily. The hormone oxytocin, released during breastfeeding, will help a mom feel better physically and emotionally. Stress can aggravate diabetes, so this is a big plus!

And if you have gestational diabetes, breastfeeding can help lower your blood glucose levels in the period soon after birth.

Tips for Mothers with Diabetes

Breastfeeding is good for women with diabetes, but it may make your blood glucose a little harder to predict. To help prevent low blood glucose levels, try these tips:

• Plan to have a snack before or during nursing
  • Drink enough fluids (plan to sip a glass of water or a caffeine-free drink while nursing)
  • Keep something to treat low blood glucose nearby when you nurse, so you don’t have to stop your child’s feeding

There’s a good chance you’ll want to get rid of any extra baby weight as soon as possible, and breastfeeding does burn extra calories, but you shouldn’t try to lose pounds too quickly. It’s important that you get the right amounts of fluids, protein, vitamins and minerals while breastfeeding. Develop a meal plan with your health care provider or dietitian that will allow you to achieve gradual weight loss and still be successful at breastfeeding.

If you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes and use either insulin or oral blood glucose-lowering medications, it’s important to understand their safety while breastfeeding. Most medications used to treat diabetes can be safely used during nursing, but be sure to check with your doctor.

While breastfeeding is a wonderful option for new mothers, both physically and emotionally, it may not be possible for all women. For many moms, the decision to breastfeed or formula-feed is based on their comfort level, lifestyle and specific medical considerations.

Whatever your decision, make sure it is the right one for you and your child. For women who are able to breastfeed or who would like to, now is a great time to learn more about the benefits of this part of new motherhood.

This entry was posted in Family, Life with Diabetes, Parents, Research, Tips and ideas and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Breastfeeding and Diabetes: What’s the Connection?

1. Tracy says:

When my twins were born prematurely, I ended up pumping. No one could answer if my blood sugar was high when I pumped milk, was there extra “sugar” in the milk and would it add extra calories to the babies. The lactation consultant checked everybook she had and never found an answer.

• Alicia Dermer says:

The main sugar in mother’s milk is lactose, which is made up of two basic sugars: glucose and galactose. Glucose is the sugar that is in excess in the bloodstream of people with diabetes. Although some of the excess glucose in the bloodstream of a mother with poorly controlled diabetes does get into the milk, most of it gets used in producing lactose, and the actual amount of plain glucose is very small and unlikely to affect the infant. Breastfeeding is not only beneficial for mothers with diabetes (because milk production actually improves a mother’s sugar control and promotes optimal weight loss after delivery as well, which can be helpful especially in Type II diabetes) but also for babies as it has been shown to decrease the risk of both Type I and Type II diabetes in children.

• Klee says:

Having high blood sugar does affect the sugar of the milk so I was told that it did not. Using a machine to test the ppb of sugar content I tested my milk when I had high sugar and lower sugar and it was indeed linked. When my sugar was high my breast milk sugar content was high and when my sugar was low my breast milk sugar was low. Although it was not nearly as large of a difference as in my blood sugars, I also tested several formulas which I was really shocked to see. Similac had a sugar content of 257. My milk while my sugar was 92 had a sugar content of 27. My milk with a blood sugar at over 500 was 98. So it does make a marked difference. I was really curious about this and thought I would post it for others.

• Joanna says:

Wow! Thanks for doing the research. That’s the most helpful info I’ve read. At least now I know and will be more careful with what I consume. My twins are now 12 months old and I still breastfeed them while supplementing with formula. No wonder sometimes they just love to breastfeed..guess ‘cos it’s super sweet! I just hope this doesn’t contribute to them getting diabetes! Once again thanks for sharing the very helpful info! And Happy Breastfeeding!

• Nikki Lee says:

Breastfeeding helps control diabetes and will postpone or reduce the chances of a mother with gestational diabetes developing full-blown diabetes. Both cow and soy proteins increase risk in babies.

2. Q. says:

Can a type 1 diabetes Mom nurse her baby by breastfeeding? Has it ever been done?

• Nikki Lee Health says:

Yes, a woman with any type of diabetes will make enough wonderful milk for her baby to grow well. Many women with Type 1 diabetes enjoy breastfeeding. A diabetic mother who is breastfeeding may find that her insulin requirement is reduced during lactation; also, her pregnancy weight may go away sooner than a mother choosing not to breastfeed. One more advantage for the mother with diabetes who breastfeeds is that she is reducing her baby’s chances of developing the disease. There are currently at least 12 theories as to why infant formula triggers diabetes. Best to avoid this, and breastfeed for as many months as possible.

• Tonia Squires says:

most definitely, not only will the childs risk of diabetes be decreased, Moms will most likely need less insulin while breastfeeding. There is some research that Mothers with diabetes have a slightly delayed “coming in of mature milk” by a day or two but for the most part all goes well. I have a friend with type 1 and she has exclusively BF for 6 plus months now.

• Yahaira says:

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been nursing my twins for 3 months now and I imagine its been done many times before me. Its great and I just have to make sure my sugars are at a good level before and after feedings

• Kristina says:

I am Type 1 diabetic and I am nursing my fourth child. It can be done!

• Brooke M. says:

Yes, I have had type 1 diabetes for 23 years and have breastfeed my 15-moth old since birth and have connected with other type 1 diabetic mom who also breastfeed.

• Brooke says:

I’m doing it right now. Type 1 since 1999 and breastfed my first for 4 months and planning on breastfeeding my second till he weans. At least for a year, hopefully.

3. Pingback: Breastfeeding and Diabetes: What’s the Connection? « diabetesolutions

4. Yaceni says:

Yes, you can breastfeed if you have type 1 diabetes. The only problem with breastfeeding is that diabetics are prone to get mastitis or yeast infection more easily. I’m a diabetic and continue to breastfeed at 7 months! There is not much difference from a non-diabetic the only thing is that your diet and sugars needs to be controled the same way as if you were pregnant.

5. Michelle says:

I have type 1 diabetes (since age 11) and I expressed and fed my baby my breast milk for 5 months before becoming exhausted and swapping to formula. She was 4 weeks early with a few complications and couldn’t/wouldn’t latch, but I had a large supply, so decided to express feed.
    Not to many problems when expressing. A few hypo’s but nothing major. Just made sure I had a snack before expressing.

6. Luz Coppock says:

My daughter breastfeeds her newborn. She actually pumps her milk. Yesterday she was shaking which stopped after she ate. The only thing I could think of is her glucose levels might be low. Is she at risk of developing some kind of illness?

7. fatima mabotha says:

I am 19 and I have D type 1 should I breastfeed even when I’ve lost so much weight my baby is 8months.

8. Pingback: Should Women with Diabetes Breastfeed? | 700 Children's

9. Pingback: I nurse for selfish reasons

10. Sarah says:

I have a client who got engorged at day 3, went to the showe to express her milk and blacked out. How do I support her in her decision to breastfeed her second child? I have some tactics to up her calorie intake with yummy things in her “nursing station” but she is terrified that she will pass out with a newborn and toddler all by herself. Thoughts?

11. Vivian Ellis says:

I’m currently 32 weeks pregnant I’ve been a diabetic for 32 years and also have a daughter….the combination of being a diabetic and a parent can be very scary. The first and most important act as a parent she can do is teach her child what to do, have a “plan” in place ..but that’s not health related , that’s just a safety precaution….Health wise….The key is and has been optimal blood sugar control. She needs to sit with a ” team” …nutritionist/ endocrinologist/lactation consultant. “Goodies” aren’t practical…she needs to up her protein levels prior to eating, maybe lower her insulin needs as this happens after birth and breast feeding. During pregnancy testing blood sugars were essential so she needs to be reminded it is still essential…before, during, after breast feeding. She cannot risk going into low blood sugars with her children so she had to be overly paranoid. I literally check my sugars every 2 hours and after I have this baby I will continue to do so for everyones safety.

• Nikki Lee says:

When mamma is diabetic, breastfeeding becomes more important because formula is a risk factor and a trigger for diabetes in a baby that has already a genetic predisposition, many mothers choose to bring their own milk in to supplement.

It safe to hand express newborn prenatally, after 32 weeks, to collect and freeze and bring to the hospital. Babies born to mothers with diabetes are likely to have their blood sugars monitored after birth; if the sugar is low, then the baby will be supplemented. There are youtube videos showing how to hand express; doing it after a shower makes it easier. The only mothers who should not do this are those on pelvic rest because they are having premature labor. All other mothers are safe; if she can have sex, she can hand express.

Skin to skin after birth, even after a cesarean section, will keep a baby’s blood sugar in normal ranges. Skin to skin care after birth also encourages a baby to crawl to breast and start breastfeeding; this process takes between 1 and 2 hours.

As for after birth, some mothers find that their insulin requirements go down during exclusive breastfeeding. This requires monitoring and doseage adjustment.

Finding the lactation professional in your community is also helpful; more hospitals are becoming places where the breastfeeding relationship is helped.

12. Johne5 says:

Thanks so much for sharing this excellent info! I’m seeking forward to see much more posts!

13. Klanchu says:

Hi! I just want to knw what are d risks involvd in breastfeeding during high sugar? N how often n for how many minutes should I breastfeed my 3 month old baby?

• G says:

Will gestational diabetes make the normal size born baby gain more weight? My baby was born 7.5 pounds and now 17 pounds after 4 months? I wasnt diagnosed GD but found to be close to the limits. I gained only 17.5 pounds during pregnancy and i had controlled my diet and exercise

• Nikki Lee says:

Keep your baby close and breastfeed whenever baby gives the signal. You don’t eat or drink based on a number of minutes. Neither should your baby. By 3 months, breastfeeding should be in the groove, and easy. If it isn’t see a local nursing mothers’ group, or a peer counselor, or a clinical specialist.

14. Joanna says:

I’ve been breastfeeding my twins for almost 6 months now,but am also giving them formula as I have not been able to peoduce enough milk. I have not had the chance to monitor my blood sugar and my meals are definitely not ideal because I have no help at home and my twins are really a handful. If my blood sugar is high whenI am breastfeeding will it affect my babies and will they get diabetes too? I have had Type 2 diabetes for the last 8 years and am in my eafly 40s.

15. stella motto says:

I was diagnosed with GD and gave birth to a big baby 5.2 kgs with low blood sugar level. His dugal level was controlled and stablelised thus he is within the normal range now. He is 1.5 months now, is there any possibility of the sugar level droping again??

16. Linda S says:

I was gestational diabetic for 4 pregnancies and the drs said the high blood sugar should go away after delivery. My baby is 15 months and I am still nursing her a few times during the day. Will my blood sugar numbers go down if I stop nursing? My numbers are for the most part under control but I have elevated fasting numbers.

17. Liby Anish says:

Thanku for gud information

18. swetha says:

My husband is having diabetes and last month I blessed with baby do I need to take test for my new born baby also ..kindly suggest accordingly

19. Pingback: Breastfeeding with Diabetes

20. Pingback: diabetes in breastfeeding – Everyday Health Solution

21. Beth says:

I highly recommend the Medtronic insulin pump with the continuous glucose monitoring system. It alerts you of levels increasing/decreasing and allows for great flexibility with what you are eating and when.

22. nivetha says:

If my blood sugar is high whenI am breastfeeding will it affect my babies and will they get diabetes too? I am type 1 diabetic patient I am taking insulin daily

23. Cruz says:

I was diagnosed diabetic when I was pregnant it and they told me it was going to go away after I had my baby but after 2 months I was still breastfeeding my baby and my blood sugars were going up to high is that going to affect my baby if I still breastfeed her without medicin?

24. Pingback: Breast Is Best, Even If Mom Has Diabetes – Diabetes SA