PCOS: The Cousin of Diabetes?

Have you ever heard of polycystic ovary syndrome (or PCOS)?

If not, don’t worry, as many people haven’t. Yet it’s estimated that 5 to 10 percent of women in the U.S. (about 5 million!) have this syndrome, whose wide variety of symptoms often affect their reproductive health in ways that can be truly devastating, including infertility.

September is PCOS Awareness Month, which makes this a good opportunity to learn more about this endocrine system disorder and its link to diabetes. Here’s what you need to know.

So what is PCOS? How do I know if I have it?

PCOS is a condition that causes an imbalance of female sex hormones. It is the number-one cause of female infertility.

Why is this? Well, a woman’s ovaries have follicles, which are tiny, fluid-filled sacs that hold the eggs. When an egg is mature, the follicle releases the egg so it can travel to the uterus for fertilization. In women with PCOS, immature follicles bunch together to form large cysts or lumps. The eggs mature within the bunched follicles, but the follicles don’t break open to release them.

As a result, women with PCOS often don’t have menstrual periods or only have periods on occasion. Because the eggs are not released, most have trouble getting pregnant.

Though most commonly diagnosed in women of reproductive age, PCOS can be diagnosed in any phase of life—in girls as young as 8 to 9 years old, up through post-menopause.

Here are the most common signs and symptoms of PCOS:

• Irregular or no menstrual cycles
  • Heavy or prolonged bleeding
  • Painful periods
  • Inability to get pregnant
  • High levels of androgen hormones (such as testosterone)
  • Cysts on the ovaries
  • Acne
  • Excess hair on the face or body
  • Darker patches of skin in neck folds, armpits, folds in waistline or groin

Not everyone with PCOS will have all of these signs, as it can present itself in a variety of ways in different people.

Unfortunately, women with PCOS often don’t know they have it. To complicate matters, there’s no one simple blood test or scan that produces a PCOS diagnosis. Doctors first have to rule out other conditions such as thyroid disease, early menopause or adrenal gland disorders that could trigger the same symptoms.

Diagnosing PCOS involves several steps. Doctors will check for swelling of cysts on the ovaries, sometimes using an ultrasound. If your doctor suspects PCOS, he or she may recommend blood tests to measure hormone levels and check insulin and glucose levels, as PCOS causes insulin resistance, the hallmark of type 2 diabetes.

Causes and Connection to Diabetes

No one knows the exact cause of PCOS, but studies are investigating whether it’s genetic. Not everyone with PCOS genes develops the condition, though, so researchers are also looking for lifestyle factors that affect the risks for PCOS.

Most experts agree PCOS is related to body weight, as many women with PCOS are overweight or obese. But if you are overweight, weight loss of just 5 percent can improve PCOS symptoms. Extra body weight might be part of the connection between PCOS and type 2 diabetes, but almost half the women with PCOS are lean, so something’s missing from the story.

Women with type 1 diabetes are at increased risk for PCOS, further suggesting that insulin may be a key player. A possible link between PCOS and type 1 diabetes may be that the large swings in insulin levels that accompany insulin injections may place extra stress on the ovaries. Likewise for people with type 2, who tend to have high levels of insulin in the early stages of diabetes because their bodies whip it out to fight their insulin resistance.

But why should a woman’s ovaries mind a little extra insulin? Researchers suggest that raised insulin has a direct effect on them, enhancing testosterone levels, which may be behind PCOS. More research is needed before we really find out the cause of PCOS.

How is PCOS Treated?

Because there is no cure for PCOS, it needs to be managed to prevent further problems. Birth control pills are most commonly prescribed for this purpose and can help regulate menstruation, reduce androgen levels and clear acne.

For women wanting to get pregnant, a drug that induces ovulation often has good results. Some doctors are also seeing improvements with patients using metformin, frequently used for people with type 2 diabetes, to lower blood glucose. A healthy diet and regular exercise can help lessen the symptoms of PCOS as well.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­__________________________________________

Although the cause of PCOS remains a mystery and there is no cure, awareness can do a great deal to help women, especially those with diabetes, recognize symptoms and obtain an accurate diagnosis. If you’re experiencing any PCOS symptoms, make an appointment with your health care provider.

For more information on PCOS, visit our website or see this article from the September 2012 issue of Diabetes Forecast magazine.

This entry was posted in Complications and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to PCOS: The Cousin of Diabetes?

1. CJ says:

Is this statement correct: “as PCOS causes insulin resistance”?

My understanding is that it is not clear if PCOS causes insulin resistance or vice versa.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Vivian says:

My doctor said insulin resistance is one of the causes of PCOS, not pcos causes insulin resistance. However, you never know with doctors anymore. I had one tell me I’ll never have babies, and one tell me to not give up because she’s seen worse cases of pcos get pregnant naturally, and with help. I’ll have hope until I’m too old to have children.

• M.K. says:

Don’t give up….after 4 surgeries to remove cysts and at least 8 that ruptured, endometriosis, uterine fibroids and uterine prolapse (and laparoscopies to correct them)…I was told I would never have kids…I now have 2 wonderful kids…you have to manage the symptoms and the insulin resistance…came to this sight b/c my 11 year old has just been diagnosed with pcos…her testosterone is over 5 times normal level…she isn’t IR though….trying to get things under control early

• Tina says:

Hi Vivian, this is a late response so I hope you will see it! It is true that bad cases of PCOS can concieve naturally so dont give up hope! I have had pcos since the age of 13, cystic jawline acne chin hair the works, was on and off pill (Yaz, mostly off, and eating low carb I would say around 70% of the time, so stayed slim) and when I decided to try aged 33, I decided to get accupuncture, and it happened immediately. One thing that does prevent conception is stress and anxiety, so pls pls stop. My advice to you is try accupuncture, do not stress, and eat low carb. I wish you best of luck!

2. Misty says:

I have diabetes, isulin resistant and I also have PCOS. I’m lucky enough that I have two daughters in spite of it!!

• adi says:

u r really lucky… i hv PCOS and have been trying to get pregnant for last 1 yr… used clomid 3 times and ovulation occured, but did not convert into conception 🙁

• Kristina says:

Adi, don’t give up hope. I have PCOS and have managed to have four children. It has taken a lot of time (years and years and years), a lot of failed fertility treatments, a lot heartbreak, and some miscarriages – but I have 3 beautiful sons and an adorable little girl. It was worth it. If Clomid does not work, try Femara and finally, injectable drugs. My now 9 year old son is a result of Bravelle and IUI. Add Metformin. My daughter is the result of Metformin. PCOS is treatable. Hang in there!

• lianna manos says:

Have your doctor recommend metformin

• Jasmine says:

You are blessed, very blessed!

3. Maritza says:

Don’t loose hope! I have PCOS since I was 12 and now later in life I have diabetes types 2. In spite of it all I have two wonderful children!

4. Roberta says:

I found out 8 months ago that I have t2 diabetes. Yesterday I learn I also have pcos. The dr. almost hit the floor when I told her I have 4 kids. So other than my health ive been blessed.

5. kim says:

Maritza,
    Gosh 12? I’m concerned my 9 year old my have PCOS. Can you please tell me if you recall any “warning” signs?
    She has acne, maybe not awful, but bad and has had it for 2 years. I just noticed short dark hair on her arms. She has mood swings already. I’m just concerned. Thanks!

• shannon says:

Hi, did u ever find out anything about ur daughter? I know this is old but if some how u come across it please email me at shannon0080@yahoo.com. My daughter is 9 also and no doc will listen to me. I also have pcos. She is suffering and noone will listen! Thanks

• Rose says:

If your daughter is suffering from this please look into contacting a Fertility Care Practitioner. They use NaPro Technology and will help your daughter, I promise! It is all natural and you do not use birth control pills or artificial hormones. Look up Fertility Care Practitioners in your area and research Napro technology and the Creighton Model System.
        I have PCOS, endometriosis and have suffered from horrible PMS, heavy painful periods and moodswings. I went through the ringer with normal OB GYN care and am so thankful to have found this. PLEASE look into it!

6. Chas says:

I recently found out I have pcos I’ve had type one diabetes since age six I am now 21. I’m not over weight I’m at 100 pounds and I’m 4’8″ I just want some information.
    I want kids. I have severe pain and I’m so tired all the time

• American Diabetes Association says:

Hi Chas, we’re sorry to hear you’re suffering from PCOS. We hope you find this blog post and our website helpful, and of course you should turn to your health care team for help with managing this along with your diabetes.

7. ashleigh says:

I am 22 years old. Was diagnosed with type one diabetes two years ago. Just found out I have pcos. I have been bleeding for a month and a half. The doctor put me on mononessa. Two pills a day and nothing is working. And the birth control pills are spiking my blood sugar up in to the three hundreds. I’m not sure yet if I want to have children but the thought of not being able to have a choice kills me. I have horrible mood swings to the point I feel as though I am going insane. I’m trying to stay positive through it all and it is very hard. My body always hurts and I’m constantly thirsty due to my sugars. This just sucks

• Chasity says:

I’m so sorry to hear that and I definitely know exactly how you feel. Sadly,it sounds like your case is like mine. There is nothing being done with the side effects of the medicine or the pain!

8. Erica says:

I am 22 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since I was 12 and developed pcos a year or two after I was diagnosed. I have noticed the texture of my hair is completely different now and falls out all the time. qalso i have had a lot of weight gain and barely eat anything with a lot of carbs and can’t get this weight off. i have always been told it was hard to have children sometimes with it but I now have a perfectly healthy 5 month old baby boy. Don’t get down.

• Dianne says:

Did you use any fertility treatment ?

• joyce says:

I have pcos, t1 diab since 13, am 26 now.
        Been taking birth control pills since nov 2014. Menstrual is regular now, 3-4 days duration. Acne erupted from Nov til Feb, this month, acne is decreasing but still have scars.

I have the same weight problem. Used to be underweight when I was 13. Gained from eating disorder despite of active lifestyle. Now, I don’t have bulimia but am having real trouble losing weight despite of barely eating. Im saddened and depressed.

9. Laura Smith says:

I am 25 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes aged 3. At the age of 5 I started to grow pubic hair and stopped growing in height at eleven (I’m only 4 ft 10). I also started to get grey hair at the age of 17 and my hair falls out excessively. Only a couple of years ago I started to get excess facial hair and acne on my chin which gets really itchy, I went to the doctors and they diagnosed me with pcos although I am not overweight. They put me on the contraceptive pill cilest but this hasn’t really helped as my acne only starts to clear up when I eat healthy (much easier said then done!) I think I must also have a thyroid problem as pcos doesn’t explain early puberty but the endocrine clinic wasn’t very helpful

• JR says:

Laura – Do a google search for Turners Syndrome + PCOS. TS would explain the height, lack of growth, and precocious puberty. Girls with TS almost always have PCOS. Hope that helps!

10. pimples says:

Amazing, magnificent blog page format! The span of time are you currently writing a blog with regard to? you earn writing a blog glance effortless. The whole look of this web site is excellent, while intelligently because the content material!

11. Brenda M says:

My daughter has PCOS. She has had bad acne since first grade. In high school it was so bad she wouldn’t look people in the eye, she wanted to hide all the time. She would get a period and then not have one for six months. I made the Dr. take testostrone and estrogen levels at 15 yrs. old and he said she had PCOS. We put her on birth control then. She has had regular periods because of the pill. She is very thin. She has since at least 15 grown hair on her face, chest, and nipples. She is now on Spironolactone for the hair growth. She is now 24. We are having her tested to see if she is diabetic now. She is very moody and gets agitated quickly. She gets low blood sugars often. We have been to at least to 5 different Dr’s and haven’t gotten much help. We just want to make sure she is on track to being able to get pregnant.

12. I’m within the very same boat as well as in will need of support, encouragement and inspiration! I am 27, no young children. Been executing P90X for two yrs (09-10′). I had been 170lbs and received right down to 140ish and am back again approximately 158 BOOOO!!! I want for being 115-120 nevertheless and hopefully by this summer season so I can search lovable all over again. My target will be to make

13. Louise says:

When i was in high school I was told it’s gonna be hard for me to have a baby and worse the doctor said i might not have one. But prayers worked, i now have 1 kid. Still struggling with PCOS and it’s disadvantages but on medication now. I’m working on losing a few pounds too, though the doctor told me I’m not overweight. I’m just worried because my sugar level is higher than normal. This article helped me a lot. What’s the best exercise or best diet to lose the unwanted pounds that will not trigger my asthma? Any suggestions? THANK YOU 🙂 HAPPY HOLIDAYS in advance.

• JR says:

I was told the same thing at 17. Was told I could become pregnant but I lacked the right chemistry to remain pregnant. I have 2 awesome kiddos but the entire pregnancies were HARD! Preterm labor and a fight to keep them, complete bedrest and weekly injections of anti-contraction meds + non-stress tests. Plus there were 14 early term miscarriages in between. It was so worth it though! 🙂 Prayers definitely helped in my case! I prayed hard each and every time my hubby and I were intimate, and often in between. 🙂

Here is a really great site with diet/vitamin tips. It is HARD to maintain a PCOS diet but I can say from experience that it is 100% worth it! I feel sooo much better!.

Basically the gist of it is to eat all 100% natural foods/ingredients, no more pre-packaged foods, candy, soda, fast food (or eating out in general unless you are lucky enough to have an all natural organic restaurant near you), etc…ever. No dairy (milk, cheese, and ice cream seem to be the worst, I can tolerate very small amounts of sour cream (organic, no hormones) and very limited soy depending on personal tolerance. Only eat free-range, non-hormone meats, NO GMO foods, and only Organic whenever possible. Note: Organic does NOT mean all natural, I learned that the hard way. Even packaging that says all natural isn’t always. I now check the ingredients on everything. The worst offender for PCOS symptoms that I found is modified starch/flour.

A really easy way to get all the vitamins you need and lose weight in a healthy manner is to sub two meals with a shake of Shakeology (I use the Organic Vanilla) and Naked Green Machine, blended with ice. Not everyone likes the taste, but I like it. But more than that it has the perfect combo of all necessary nutrients without risking a PCOS sugar spike.

Once I changed my diet (cold turkey one day), and added the shake meals, I dropped 20 lbs with very little effort, just more normal daily activities chasing 2 kids around. I am sure if I exercised a bit more I could lose more, but I am now in a healthy range so I am not really worried about it. I could probably stand to lose another 10-15lbs and definitely tone up a bit more , but that will have to wait till I have more free time. 🙂

Also worth noting, I was taking Spironolatone (300 mg 2x daily) for acne for about 5 years – it works really well BTW if you cannot commit to a lifestyle change – and since changing my diet I was able to go off it completely. Yay! if I have an occasional breakout I just rub some cold pressed organic jojoba oil on the spot several times a day and cover my whole face at night. It is usually nearly gone by the next morning, definitely gone within 3 days. I try to apply jojoba oil to my face, neck, and check at night even when not needed just as a preventative…but I don’t always remember. FYI – It does have a slight color and may stain pillowcases, it has a mild nutty smell that isn’t too unpleasant. A friend said the first week after using it she got a flare up breakout all over, but it cleared within a few days and didn’t come back. I didn’t get that. I am guessing for her it was just her pores clearing out and it would have happened either way. Bonus: It makes your skin super soft and is great when used as a massage oil – relaxing and soft skin = a win-win!

Feel free to reply to this with any questions (I will get alerts), with any questions. I will try to help if I can. *hugs* & God bless!

14. Marie says:

Hi, I have PCOS with symptoms of hair growth on my face, nipples, etc. I’m 24 and skinny. I’m about 5’6 and 105 pounds. I’m going to be tested for diabetes, and I’m a bit worried, is there anybody who didn’t have the symptom of weight gain and has diabetes as a result of PCOS? Thanks in advance.

• Laura says:

Hi Marie

Its unknown whether PCOS causes diabetes or vice versus. I’ve had diabetes since I was three so I would have thought its the other way round but the two do seem to be connected. Good luck with the test

• Ali says:

I had PCOS, ( got no reproductive organs now though) but have developed Diabetes 2 down to poor life style choices such a s a diet too high in carbs and sugar and the fact that I was/am very apple shaped and apple shaped women have to be careful with weight gain as it is dangerous fat that can lead to insulin resistance. I got diagnosed Diabetic type 2 at age 49. Wish I had adopted a low carb/low sugar diet earlier on but I would comfort eat on these foods as I’d get very depressed and fed up.

• Sarah says:

Marie,

I am one of those who was not overweight (5′-2″ & about 100 lbs.)–but that is why they DIDN’T diagnose my PCOS ’til it was too late. They kept telling me I couldn’t possibly have PCOS because I “wasn’t fat”. (Fact: 80% of PCOS women will present overweight, the other 20% normal weight.) After 15 years of suspecting PCOS–at the age of 32–I wound up in emergency surgery with a baseball-sized, ruptured ovarian cyst (that nearly caused me to bleed out internally). They found 19 other cysts during the surgery. The doctors STILL refused to diagnose me with PCOS at the time (despite excessive facial & body hair, extremely painful/prolonged mentrual cycles, debilitating acne, every PCOS symptom in the book except the weight). Two years later I finally self-referred to a reproductive endocrinologist who diagnosed me with the PCOS on the spot, but by that point it was already too late & I had developed Type II diabetes. He explained that PCOS causes insulin resistance over time, and if not caught early enough will inevitably morph into Type II diabetes. He started me on Metformin & Aldactone (androgen blocker) right away to balance both conditions. I am now 45, still taking both meds, and balancing with diet & exercise. Have not had to resort to insulin yet . . .

Hopefully you & your doctors have figured things out soon enough to get you going on a treatment plan so that you can avoid the diabetes–not the end of the world, but certainly makes life that much more complicated. The Metformin, from my understanding, if started soon enough, can prevent the insulin resistance from developing into Type II diabetes. Incidentally, I have come across several journal articles over the years suggesting too much testosterone in utero (i.e., when our mothers were pregnant with us) invariably sets off the progression of PCOS in puberty, then diabetes, and potentially other auto-immune diseases on down the line (of which I have several now). I hope your diabetes tests came back negative, but don’t by any means think you are “safe” just because you maintain a slender physique. Stay informed & keep an eye on things. You’re much further ahead of the game figuring things out while you’re still so young. Best of luck to you.

• Ali says:

I was very thin until my early 20s and sadly became apple shaped. The pill didn’t help.

15. Nikeria Irby says:

I am 25 years old, I don’t get my period regularly anymore. I am 5’4 even and I stand at 164 pounds (give or take). My glucose levels are normal, I don’t have any excessive facial hair or anything. But I want to have a baby; What are my changes of having PCOS?

16. PCOS MOMMA says:

Dr Oz, please have a show on this topic. Poly cystic Ovarian Syndrome (disease). Better known as PCOS FOR SHORT. Effects over 10 percent of our women population, and most Doctors don’t help. Please have a show on this very complicated issue. I want all the young girls to be encouraged about becoming pregnant. I have two beautiful daughters, after having no periods since puberty, and then at 25 I had surgery to remove a lemon size ovarian cyst, the OBGYN whom I loved told me that I would probably never have children. The ovary that she removed the cyst from was left in questionable shape, and she told me the other ovary never functioned at all.
    All that being said, both of my daughters, my mother, and grand mother all had PCOS. Although my grandmother called it the curse. That was years before doctors named it anything. Stein Leventhol was the first name I have found with the same symptoms. My daughters have it much worse than me, I had it much worse than my mom. Both of my girls have male pattern hair growth with thick hair on their beautiful faces, necks chest, nipple area, navel to pubic area and buttock areas. They feel like freaks and I’m so sad for them. I had electrolysis for at least 7 years on all parts I listed except for the buttocks because I didn’t have as much hair there.
    Now laser works for those with dark hair roots and light skin, but one of my daughters has thick medium facial hair with blond roots so laser won’t work for her. They feel like I did, like freaks. I feel so bad because neither one of the can afford to treat their most embarrassing problems.
    All I can tell all of you young ones is that even though your test results come back normal, or even a little high, and even if you have no cysts on your ovaries, if you bleed for weeks at a time or never have periods, you most likely have Pcos…especially if you have lots of hair where you should not and struggle with your weight. I have done a lot of research on this topic, and believe the doctors are misinformed when they say that it is caused by obesity or insulin resistance. I believe it is truly genetic ( my family is proof). I don’t know what causes it, but here’s what I do know.
    You need to admit you have a disease, you need meds, and you can feel better. I remember in my twenties feeling like I was the meanest woman on earth and that I felt so aggressive all the time.
    HERES WHAT HELPED ME THE MOST
    I found an endocrinologist who knew what meds would help, and an OBGYN who works with her with the hormone part.
    I AM THIN…..115 and 5’2″. But struggled for years on low carb diets but gained weight even on those diets. METFORMIN has been my life saver. It allows me to eat whole foods and a lower carb diet, and loose and even maintain my weight.
    Estradiol patches/2-weekly just the minimal dose works and natural progesterone capsule taken every evening are a must. You will sleep so much better with the progesterone and the estradiol keeps you from having the night sweats which I struggled with as early as 26 years old.
    Spironolacton acts in two ways for me, it helps with my blood pressure which I just started having now that I’m older, but also can help with the male pattern hair growth. I’m actually thinking it’s helping me not loose my head hair as fast.
    I know it’s a lot of meds, but I am nicer, have less body hair, have very little mood swings and feel like the female nurturing normal human being which God intended me to be.

17. Pingback: PCOS and Breast Cancer – Why women need more plant food | Raw Synergistics

18. hopeful says:

hey ladies,im 28years old and been diagnosed with pcos 4 years ago..have iregular cycles..and nt ovulating..me and my hubby have bn tryng to get preg but so far only miscaraiges..now im on met 850mg twice a day and having my 2nd period without help of primolut.they are prolonged periods but doc says its normal til my body adjust to the meds..hope i get to have a tiny blesing

19. Catriona says:

Hi everyone, I’m sixteen and have had type 1 diabetes for roughly 3 years. I am overweight and have irregular periods, but so did my mother. I do not have excess hair growth either. The doctor ran blood tests and said that i have a slightly lower estrogen level. What are the chance I may have PCOS as I’m terrified I may never have children.

• Laura-Jane Smith says:

Women that have POS can still have children its just sometimes a bit harder to conceive. Its really not worth worrying about, I know lots of women with POS that have had children

• Ali says:

I was sadly never able to have kids thanks to PCOS, many people do have kids with this illness, sadly not all women with PCOS have children , I would have adopted but my mental health became poor after IVF failed. Treatment for infertility is improving, it is 16 years since I quit fertility treatment.

20. kristin says:

I am 23 years old and recently got diagnosed with PCOS. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant, the doctor just put me on Metformin, does it help with conceiving? And does it make you a diabetic if your not a diabetic?

• American Diabetes Association says:

Hi Kristin, the best way to prevent miscarriage in women with PCOS is to normalize hormone levels to improve ovulation, and normalize blood glucose and androgen levels. Doctor prescribe the diabetes drug metformin to help with this — but taking it does not mean you have diabetes, nor will it lead to you having diabetes. As your doctor if you have more questions!

21. Kathy says:

My 27 year old daughter was diagnosed today with PCOS. She’s never had any problems with her cycle but after major back/abdomen surgery 7 months ago, getting her IUD out and on progesterone birth control pill, she started getting acne and major weight gain around her middle section. Since going off the bill 4 weeks ago, here hormone levels are much better but her insulin production is real high. Her OB/GYN prescribed Metformin since she wants to become pregnant this year but doesn’t feel an ultrasound is necessary at this time. Her only symptoms were the acne and weight gain. I’m very scared for her. All she ever wanted was to be a Mom.

22. Kelley says:

Hi ladies. I have PCOS and type 2 diabetes. I have gotten better sugar readings since eating eaqual grams of protein to grams of net carbs. Coconut oil helps with reduced hungar and cravings. Lost 10 pounds in one month almost effortlessly. You need to keep your blood sugars down to lower insulin, this will lower male hormones and aid in conception. Plus your energy and moods will be higher, also use pre-seed lubricant, best of luck.
    Kelley

23. Shampa says:

I am 24yrs old,5’3′ n 98 kgs in weight.I want to get married lately.I have Pcos.will i be able to be a mother at 32yrs.

• Ali says:

if you want a family I would not put trying to conceive off, the earlier they can detect any problems the better, my ex didn’t want us to have a family til we were in our 30s by then it was too late for me, I did fertility treatment including IVF but it failed, the earlier they can sort out these problems the better. Fertility declines by the time a woman is in her 30s and is at its best in our 20s, modern life means people want to party and through life into their career, travel etc, but I think if you really want a family as badly as I did, the earlier the better, obviously it’s your choice and other people have different opinions I am sure.

24. Nids says:

Well, I also have thyroid and PCOS since I was a teenage. Though tyroid triggered after I got pregnant I have 1beautiful daughter 🙂 . Well there is one home remedy for PCOS which works for me if I do it regularly. Take a towel soak it on cold water and tie it on the abdominal area and cover it with another dry warm cloth or towel keep it for half hour. My periods are usually regular if I do it regularly but if I stop in between they are not. Plus I don’t take any medication for PCOS though I do take medication for thyroid. And a lot many times I do face problem with acne though I am not overweight.

25. Morgan says:

Hi there I am 28yrs old and I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 15. All my life I have had irregular periods once maybe twice a year. I always knew there was fertility problems but I am lucky enough to have 2 children they were 7yrs apart tho and I was always actively trying. I never knew of the risks associated with getting diabetes as I am only looking into my condition now as I suffered a miscarriage at the start of the year and I couldn’t understand why it happened when I had a scan with a wonderful heartbeat then the next day no baby at all. I have had a cyst removed 4yrs ago and currently waiting to have another removed at the moment. I am shocked to find that I have only ever been offerd the pill for managing my symptoms wich I went off as it just made me bleed and apart from that I have been told I have chronic fatigue syndrome so that is why I am always tired and moody and stressed I also have endo wich causes me a lot of pain. Any advice on approaching my doctor about helping me possibly any test that I can ask for as I am at my whits end as what to do. I really don’t want to go on the pill as I would love another child and I am not overly bothered by excess hair and my acne although my recent weight gain is troubling me.

26. shubaa says:

I’m 22 years old … I was diagnosed with pcos 1 month before …( I don’t no when that hell started to occur in my body) and I’m a known case of hypothyroidism for past 5 years…. Now I’m having regular periods but clots are my problem… Since I’m having regular periods is that means I’m ovulating correctly ???

27. sahiba says:

Im a pcos patient, is there any risk of geting diabetes in my future life…??

• American Diabetes Association says:

PCOS is linked to other diseases that occur later in life, including insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. This doesn’t mean that you will develop diabetes, but it is something to be aware of.

• Ali says:

I had PCOS ( had reproductive organs all removed thanks to cancer) I have just been diagnosed Diabetic at age 49, you can try and avoid this by eating a low carb diet, avoid processed food and keep sugar to a minimum, better to prevent it than have to try as I do now to keep it stable. Ask a dietician or nurse or doctor about diet and Diabetes. I ate far far too much carbohydrate and sugary food including too much fruit and fruit juice ( I thought these were healthy and they are but fruit contains sugars)

Now I try and eat complex carbs like wholemeal products and measure carefully rice, potatoes and pasta and combine it with protein food, eats lots of veg and maybe just 2 portions of fruit a day rather than as I did eating up to 5 fruits a day plus juice, I water down my fruit juice with sparkling water now. Also keep an eye on waist measurement, I am VERY apple shaped which means I have a huge belly and chest and very thin legs and flat bum, if you can keep the waist measurement under 35 it is best for avoiding Diabetes.Also do lots of excersise, wish I had not eaten so much cake, sweets and carbs although I craved them like a smoker carves a cigarette.

28. Leki says:

I used to get regular periods but I had terrible acne, then I suffered from anorexia and stopped menstruating completely, turns out I’ve got PCOS..not sure if i’ve always had it or if the anorexia did it but I went on the pill, gained 20kg, became overweight and bled non stop. So I came off the pill and am now on a vegan diet with the exception of eggs and sea food. No sugar or carbs and am gradually losing weight again. In a nutshell; pcos sucks 🙁

29. madhvi says:

hello everyone!! read the conversation n found it out to be useful… im 16 n have PCOS ! I weigh 54 kg n I’m 5 ft 2. Last in 2014 n got my period in July n then suddenly in November!! i wanted to increase my height & also terrified of “would i able to conceive?” plzz help!! 🙁

30. Pingback: Three Reasons why you should be Honest about your PCOS | My PCOS Adventure

31. Dar says:

Hi I’m 33, I found out I had PCOS since I was 25 I was TTC, I’ve had no luck, Ive had mood swings, been without periods for months since October now, but also some years had my period but no conception… I will probably be using fertility options now .. Goodluck to all suffering bc I know how horrible pcos is, some days I feel really shitty other days are ok. Life of pcos girls. Hang in there!

32. krutika says:

I’m 21 now, for almost 9 yrs I’ve been suffering from pcos and cyst. Later on I diagnosed by diabetes thyroid blood pressure n migraine too…. I’ve suffered a lot of pain in this time. It was me who purposely did these tests and found that I’m suffering. My gyneac n my family doctor didnt realise that I may have this problem. Its not even there fault coz I had no symptoms of it… Like no facial hairs, changes in weight, acne n all…. Nw people shud do full body test once in a year, esspecially for girls. Do not ignore it.

33. Naomi says:

I am 25 had a harsh childhood I knew there was something wrong as my period was always late or near enough non existent 3 years ago I started to Build a life for myself and seeker advice from my gp I had tests scans ext which told me I had pcos I also have diabetes type 2 but now the tables have turned and I bleed for months at a time the doctors tried me on the depo prevera injection which made everything worse they also had me on the pill at the same time I ended up depressed bleeding heavy and still today I am bleeding is there anything I can do to stop it because am at a loose end with my doctor thanks Naomi xx

34. Sandra Howes says:

This sight is ver helpful. My daughter has been a type one diabetic since she was three. Started menstration at age 11 and has never been regular. She is now 14 yrs. old 5’10 and 190 lbs. she was just diagnosed w/hypothyroidism and pcos and possibly will need metformin for insulin resistance on top of already taking regular injections of insulin for her type one. She is currently suffering from full body acne and major mood swings. Although she has had all of this going on she has remained an A plus honors student . She also was a sexual assault victim at 5. Life has really been extra hard. We have been working w/wonderful endocrinologist and diabetic nurse from lurie children’s hospital in Chicago for the last ten years. Please anyone still seeking answers from your regular doctor try to get a referral to an endocrinologist to help put together the best plan for your optimal health. I will keep hoping all goes well for my daughter as she enters into a long term relationship and wants to have a family of her own. One day at a time.

35. Apru says:

Hi,
    I have high insulin level but ultrasound was normal. I missed one period (only some spotting) but then in the next month my period went on for 15 days and stopped only after medication and again started when i stopped medicine but finally stopped on its own after 3 days. I have gained 3 kgs over last 6 months and presently i am overweight.
    Can i have PCOS?

• American Diabetes Association says:

Hello Apru, we suggest reaching out to your health care team as soon as possible. Thank you.

36. Madzie2000 says:

I have almost every symptom of PCOS and I am waiting on the results of a test: the excess weight is really affecting my personal life and I have been doing everything in my power to eat right and keep active. On top of this I have type 1 diabetes; I was hoping that someone could tell me if taking the medication for abnormal hormones will in any way aid in the weight loss process as I have been given little information about this.

37. Maria says:

I’m 15 years old and I’ve been having my period since age 9. Ever since I was about 12, my period has been insanely irregular. Sometimes I’ll go 3-6 months without a single period but when I do get it, it’s insanely heavy and I have it for about 4-5 days. However, even without my period, I still get discharge almost every day. I tell my mom and my doctor about my period being late but they say it’s just because of puberty and hormones. I am overweight and it’s insanely hard for me to lose weight. I have extremely thick leg, arm, and armpit hair which grows excessively. I also grow a lot of hair on my chin and I’m beginning to grow sideburns. I also have lots of acne on my chin and I’ve never had a day without at least 25 blackheads on my nose and chin.
    Do i seem like i could have PCOS? And how could I bring it up to my doctor that I’d like an ultrasound to check without making it seem like I’m crazy for believing everything on the internet? :/

• Ali says:

go and see your doctor they should take you seriously, I hope times have changed since I was your age in the early 1980s.

38. Pingback: I Have Pcos And Type 2 Diabetes | Pcos Cure Diet

39. Ali says:

I had PCOS all my life from age 11 until recently ( I have had ovaries, womb and tubes removed due to cancer of the womb) it has caused alot of misery the worst thing about it is that I never got pregnant not once in my entire life, I did IVF which failed and that gave me a complete breakdown of mental health making me too unstable to be considered to adopt a family.

Other miseries have been extreme hairiness on the face, neck, arms, legs, belly and breasts, I still have this and have to shave , wax ans pluck most days. Then there’s the abdominal weight gain, giving me the ugly apple shape, carb cravings, bloating, skin tags, and now I have Diabetes type 2 which did not surprise me as people with an apple shape and PCOS victims are prone to it. Even after the menopause or an operation like I had ( I am 49 now) the PCOS doesn’t really leave you as the Diabetes will be there for always and the pain of being barren will never go and the battle of hair removal will be there for always. It is a wretched condition, not known about much when I was in my teens with a better moustache than most the boys of my age and being shaped like a boy in my teens when others were getting hips and a shape meant misery as I have never been a tom boy .

40. Suzie says:

If you are having problems trying to get pregnant visit http://iyareyarespellstemple.webs.com/ and i assure you things will turn around for your good, i am a happy mother today because i contacted this wonderful man.

41. Ashley says:

i dont have pcos but I am a firm believer in health products that have helped friends balance their blood sugars and decrease inflammatiin in their bodies. Im not claiming it was the answer to all or a magic pill ,but delieved more of what the body was asking. if interested I would be happy to share with you

42. Jes says:

I just found out today that I have pcos, I go tomorrow to have blood work done and Im scared they will say I have diabetes. I am blessed already with two beautiful children. Anyone with any information that they would like to share please do so. Thanks