This year we have continued to make great strides in improving the lives of the millions of people affected by diabetes, but it would not have been possible without the tremendous help of our corporate sponsors. With their support, we are able to raise awareness, sustain research, advocate for legislative change and much more to bring us closer to a cure and help Americans with diabetes live healthier, longer lives.
As the Association’s Vice President of Corporate Alliances, I would like to give a big “thank you” to all the companies that supported us this year and I’ve shared some of the highlights below:
- Just this month, we announced our bold new research initiative, Pathway to Stop Diabetes. The program will provide funding for innovative diabetes researchers to the lead the way to discoveries in diabetes prevention and treatment—and ultimately change the face of diabetes forever. In total, $20 million has been raised from three founding sponsors including Sanofi, Novo Nordisk Inc. and the Eli Lilly and Company Foundation.
- Many of our National Sponsors—including Nutrisystem D, BD Medical Care, Bumble Bee Foods, Boehringer Ingelheim and Medtronic—supported the 24th American Diabetes Association Alert Day® on March 27, 2012, and our month-long effort to spread the word about the prevalence, signs and risks of type 2 diabetes. Boar’s Head donated $5 for every Diabetes Risk Test taken during the month, up to $50,000. In addition, they handed out risk tests in over 400 local supermarkets. Janssen Pharmaceuticals sponsored the printing of the paper risk tests that were distributed in local communities nationwide.
- Walgreens raised more than $3.2 million this year from an in-store pin pad donation campaign while also continuing their support of CheckUp America, the Association’s type 2 diabetes prevention initiative. As a National Sponsor of Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes, they also raised more than $750,000 by forming a national Walgreens team of nearly 8,880 walkers. This makes Walgreens the number-one team in the 21-year history of this event!
- Catherines supported our efforts this year by creating a specially designed “Generosity Tee,” and donated $5 from each purchase to the Association. During American Diabetes Month, they also asked customers to “round up” their purchase to the next dollar and donated those funds to the Association.
- Domino Foods, Inc., makers of Domino® Light Sugar and C&H® Light, signed on as our newest 2013 National Strategic Partner. As part of this sponsorship, Domino hopes to help raise awareness about diabetes and the importance of a healthy lifestyle through various programs.
- Through their support of the Ask the Pharmacist page on our website and the in-store distribution of diabetes educational materials, Rite Aid continued to provide much-needed information and resources to help people with diabetes this year. The first retail pharmacy to develop a relationship with us, Rite Aid also helped raise funds through their annual pin-up campaign in November.
- Eli Lilly recently signed on as a new National Sponsor of Tour de Cure, our signature series of fundraising cycling events.
As you can see, these companies are truly engaged in the Stop Diabetes® movement and doing so much to support our mission. I could go on and on thanking the many other wonderful sponsors for all of their efforts in 2012. Without their support, participation and commitment to the nearly 26 million Americans with diabetes and the additional 79 million at risk for diabetes, we would not have come so far in the fight against this deadly disease.
To end, I’d like to ask you to help me express gratitude to our supporters—so leave a comment below! Together, we can Stop Diabetes.
Vice President, Corporate Alliances
American Diabetes Association