Tomorrow, March 6, more than 200 Diabetes Advocates will storm Capitol Hill during the Association’s biennial Call to Congress event. These advocates will share their personal story with members of Congress to help put a name and face to the diabetes epidemic and make the case for funding vital diabetes research and prevention programs.
Just because you aren’t in D.C., doesn’t mean you can’t participate in Call to Congress! We need your help to make sure the message delivered on Capitol Hill is heard loud and clear. So join us, and Call into Congress on March 6. By making a simple phone call, you can help Stop Diabetes®.
Here’s how you can get involved:
1) Click here to have us connect you, or dial 1-888-661-3208 to be directly connected with one of your U.S. Senators’ offices.
2) When a staff person answers, ask to speak to the health aide. Tell the health aide:
- As a constituent and advocate for the American Diabetes Association, you strongly urge your Senator to support and protect funding for diabetes search and prevention programs because it’s important to people with diabetes!
- Funding for the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Diabetes Translation, and the National Diabetes Prevention Program is essential to preventing, treating and eventually curing diabetes.
- Co-sponsoring the Medicare Diabetes Prevention Act will help secure passage of this important legislation that will help reduce number of Medicare beneficiaries who develop diabetes and rein in healthcare spending.
- Stopping diabetes will save taxpayers millions of dollars that would be spent on treating diabetes complications like blindness, amputations and kidney disease.
- Be sure to mention you have a personal connection to diabetes.
Most calls will end there. Don’t forget, you can also make your voice heard by calling your U.S. Representative:
1) Following the call with your Senator’s office, you will receive a follow-up text message prompting you to call your U.S. Representative’s office.
2) If using a landline, you can call your Representative directly at 1-877-803-2936. Just repeat the same talking points, replacing the use of “Senator” with “Representative.”
NOTE: Due to inclement weather, some congressional offices may be closed on Wednesday. If you don’t reach a live person, leave a message or consider calling back later.
Thanks for taking the time to participate in Call to Congress. Advocacy is a key component in the fight to Stop Diabetes and we can’t do it without your help. Sign up to become a Diabetes Advocate and make your voice heard year-round!