There are hundreds of individuals, groups and organizations across the country who have made it their priority to join us in the fight to Stop Diabetes®.
Each year, the American Diabetes Association recognizes the outstanding contributions of individuals in the service of the diabetes community through its National Service Achievement Awards. These awards are among the Association’s most noteworthy and coveted recognition opportunities, celebrating those whose significant contributions to our cause have been national in scope and impact.
The American Diabetes Association recognized several of its outstanding volunteers at the annual Community Volunteer Leadership Conference this past weekend in Nashville, Tenn. where the National Service Achievement Award recipients were honored. The Association also recognized our Principal Officers for their service and leadership.
The 2013 National Service Achievement Awards winners are:
- Wendell Mayes, Jr. Medal for Lifetime Service: Larry Ellingson, RPh
- Public Policy Leadership Award: Senator Al Franken, United States Senate
- Addison B. Scoville Award for Outstanding Volunteer Service: Kermit Crawford, RPh, President, Pharmacy, Health and Wellness Division, Walgreens
- Health Professional Award for Volunteer Service: Brenda Montgomery, RN, MS, CDE, Director, Diabetes Research Group, University of Washington and VA Puget Sound Health Care System
The 2013 Principal Officer Recognition included:
- Charles H. Best Medal for Leadership and Service: Karen Talmadge, PhD, Chair of the Board, American Diabetes Association
- Charles Kopke Medal for Leadership and Service: Patrick L. Shuler, CPA, Secretary/Treasurer, American Diabetes Association
- Rachmiel Levine Medal for Leadership and Service: Lurelean Gaines, RN, MSN, President, Health Care & Education, American Diabetes Association
- Banting Medal for Leadership and Service: John E. Anderson, MD, President, Medicine & Science, American Diabetes Association
Congratulations to all recipients! We thank you for all of your hard work in the fight to Stop Diabetes!