The American Diabetes Association is dedicated to raising awareness and giving a voice to the millions of Americans living with, or at risk for, diabetes. With nearly 26 million children and adults in the U.S. currently living with diabetes, and another 79 million with prediabetes, this epidemic is taking a devastating physical, emotional and financial toll on our country.
Each year, the Association works to identify the leading federal and state legislative and regulatory priorities that will guide our ongoing efforts to Stop Diabetes®. These priorities help guide our work with Congress and state legislators, and drive our efforts to make diabetes research, prevention programs and access to health care a top priority on Capitol Hill and in every statehouse across the nation.
The American Diabetes Association’s federal priorities for 2014 include:
- Federal Funding for Diabetes Research and Programs: Increase funding for the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Division of Diabetes Translation; reauthorization of the Special Diabetes Program; funding for the National Diabetes Prevention Program and increasing overall federal funding for diabetes research and prevention.
- Health Insurance: Ensure public and private health insurance options, including those under the Affordable Care Act, Medicare and Medicaid; provide access to the services, tools and education necessary to meet the needs of people with diabetes and prediabetes.
- Prevention: Focus on primary prevention efforts of type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Discrimination: Oppose laws and policies resulting in unfair treatment of people with diabetes, with a focus on employment issues.
- Health Disparities: Support laws and policies specifically focused on reducing the disparate impact of diabetes on minority communities.
- Research and Surveillance: Focus on expansion of screening, diagnosis, data collection and treatment of women with gestational diabetes and their children.
- Bills related to Complications and Comorbidities of Diabetes
- Bills advancing Federal Coordination on Diabetes
Read the full list of 2014 federal and state legislative priorities here.
Become a Diabetes Advocate and make your voice heard! Every letter you write, every phone call you place helps send our important messages to Congress and state legislatures. Join us, and take action today!