Don’t Just Sit There!

Our incoming CEO, Kevin L. Hagan, is leading by example!

Our incoming CEO, Kevin L. Hagan, is leading by example!

A lot can happen in 90 minutes. You can watch three episodes of your favorite sitcom (we just found this show on Hulu called “Seinfeld,” which seems pretty great). You could get caught up on the news of the day and your social media feeds, with plenty of time dedicated to designing your dream home via Pinterest. You could fit in a couple of quarters, innings or periods of your favorite sporting event. Or, you could get a decent amount of work done at the office—if you’re into that sort of thing.

What do these activities have in common? Sitting. A lot. It all adds up. And that’s just not good for you.

However you decide to spend your time, you should make a habit of getting up every 90 minutes. In fact, research shows that changing our sedentary habits is one of the most effective ways of preventing type 2 diabetes.

Today, May 6, marks the American Diabetes Association’s inaugural National “Get Fit Don’t Sit” Day. We want to get you up and moving, as prolonged sitting for hours and hours every day creates serious health risks.

And we’re not just here to tell you, but also to show you how! Check out this short series of videos that demonstrate fun, easy ways to make your work day healthier, whether you’re stuck at your desk or waiting for that document at the printer:

We’ll be sharing pictures, tips and videos throughout the day, so make sure you’re tuned into our social media channels for the latest and greatest. And we want to see how YOU and your company are celebrating this day and improving your health. If you haven’t already, share your pictures using the hashtag #GetFitDontSit on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. (Bonus points if you convinced your CEO to don sneakers for a lap around the building!)

This entry was posted in About Us, Food and Fitness, Get Fit Don't Sit, Mission Engagement Days, Stop Diabetes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Don’t Just Sit There!

1. Gordon Gaines says:

I’m definatly interested in this kind of info. I’m disabled and Diabetic, a little over weight. I have Siatica, so it hurts to get off of my butt. I do, but I can’t for very long. So every little bit of expertise I can get helps I guess, it doesn’t seem to.

2. HISHAM HUSSEIN ALMANSURI says:

how can i get insulin …. APEDRA AND LANTUS FREE OR NEAR FREE PRICE …..
    I AM STUDENT STUDYING IN SAN DIEGO CALFORNIA USA

THANKS

3. Sandeep Julka says:

Science is truely advanced when it can be incorporated and inculcated in daily life, otherwise it remains limited to classes and not the masses. Simple tips on exercises in the office will go along way to help people prevent lifestyle diseases and wake th up from slumber.

4. Anonymous says:

Exercise does make a difference. hence walking 30 minutes a day, taking stairs instead of elevators and standing often at your desk is perfect to alleviate if not prevent type 2 diabetes. There is a working example where a new startup company introduced a Standing workingstation, no sitting. this increased production of the company to new productivity levels unseen before. I concur with your article, dont sit but stand as often as possible while working. It keeps the diseases at bay. Not forgetting good eating habits.

5. Marilyn Ratliff says:

I recently had 3 back surgeries in 7 days due to a ruptured disc. I am a Juvenille Diabetic of 32 years. I tell people keep moving. I still have pain and numbness but i refuse to be on pain pills and just sit still. Keep eating healthy, take your meds, and MOVE! Walking is awesome!

6. Pam Bonati says:

Great logo, can make a difference, have just reversed my Type 2 Diabetes condition by cutting out all sugar, reducing salt intake, lots of vegetables, apples and pears, little red meat, lots of fish hey ho now pre diabetic and hopefully will reduce the glucose levels even more in the next 12 months!!! Wish me luck, taking 15mg Atorvastatin cholesterol reduced to 4.8.

7. Jess M says:

It’s really annoying when I am testing like a maniac, eating so healthy it’s ridiculous (always have), weighing and measuring every vegetable, simply trying to stay out of a coma (and maybe even prevent complications down the line) and some misinformed person with a T2 aunt starts telling me that I am “too thin” to have “diabetes” repeatedly ad nauseum. And that if I “ate more salads”

8. Enid Mcnatt says:

My family has a history of diabetes later in life. I am interested in finding out more about diabetes. I am also a new nurse with less than 2 years experience. I am currently going to school to obtain my BSN. I am writing an essay on diabetes and the effects of diet and exercise on diabetes. I have a question to my diabetic bloggers, as a diabetic, what do you find most challenging about fitting diet and exercise into your day to keep blood glucose readings at a good level?